Saturday, October 25, 2008

"It's our God-forsaken right to be loved" -- Jason Mraz

So as I was packing to head home (SC) last week, it took about 4 hours, as usual. I had to try on everything and dance, sing, and play with the 3 little furry folks who follow me everywhere. I bought new music. Hence, I have a new ~amazing~ playlist, that really I think has become the sound track for my life the past couple of weeks. There is something quite unique about music; it tends to keep you company when you are lonely or feeling lost. Unfortunately, music can also evoke false feelings or even attribute to the stories that you compose in between your ears. It can be so dead on that you wonder if someone else has actually lived your life and this is a moment that we can realize the pain and beauty of life- we all experience the same things. No matter what walk of life or B.elief S.ystem you come from- in general- we are all the same, yet so spectacularly different.

I was so homesick before I left that the words of Ryan Adams rang astoundingly true through my head, "I was fractured by the fall and I wanna go home." The feeling created a pain that I am sure I have never felt before, I would wake up crying and felt on the verge of tears even as I would teach. Coming back to Portland proved to me that all the drama was created in order to simply gain perspective. I love it here! I also realized, once again, that is is our comfort zone that we love so much and our egos that crave that security whether it is home, a schedule, a relationship, or an addiction. Our minds have so much power over our bodies that stress is taken out physically and as we fine tune our instruments, we may believe we have a tight grasp on our minds but our bodies can tell us otherwise. We all come to yoga to be taken care of and for this I honor you- in all of our neediness and all of our humility, we are the same- Namaste!

I'm Yours -- Jason Mraz

Be Ok-- Ingrid Michaelson

Brand New Day -- Joshua Radin

Two-- Ryan Adams

Ten Days-- Missy Higgins

Bubbly-- Colby Caillat

Crumble -- G.Love and Special Sauce

Better In Time -- Leona Lewis

I'd Rather Be With You-- Joshua Radin

Bubble Toes-- Jack Johnson

Keep Breathing-- Ingrid Michaelson

Cry On Demand -- Ryan Adams

Blindfold-- Tristan Prettyman

Indecent Proposal-- John Barry

xoxo La

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lauren, I am so happy that you are writing in a place where the world can read it! Sometimes I feel the most connected to others when I read their words, and many times these are people that I have never met face to face or even heard speak aloud. Something travels in the written word that comes through stronger, more honest, raw and truthful than can be expressed through the spoken word. Or maybe I've just never had the courage to let the rawness slip, except for on paper. Anyway, thanks for writing. And I totally know what you mean about music taking up that space of loneliness or emptiness. I have turned to music more than ever these past couple of months and I swear that it saves me day after day. You are truly wonderful! smiles and hugs, karen