Sunday, October 12, 2008

Perimeters

"Life's what happens when we are busy making plans..."- G. Love (song: Crumble)

We create so many perimeters to live within. They start with something that we may think is minor and considering what we think is "true" or "good for" us we progressively add layer upon layer until these perimeters become walls. One day we wake breathlessly over stimulated to find that we have walled ourselves into a labyrinth where we wander aimlessly wondering how on earth it could have happened. Daily we bounce off one wall to the next like a pin ball claiming that we are, independent and educated individuals when the reality is that we are simply racking up points in order to satisfy our need of no one. This is insatiable, however. Life is a maze of oppositions; you cannot be independent with out dependence, stable with out instability, peaceful with out chaos, or still with out distraction. It is necessary to connect, to be authentic, to lean on one another when we are exhausted and radiate when we are inspired. Let's marvel at each other's depth- exchanging talents that can heal our spirits and dribble peace delightfully off our fingertips like building castles with diluted sand. It will be so imperfect.
I took out my chisel today and chipped away at a wall. I practiced disentangling myself from the comfort of the barrier, but still experienced an almost bone aching loneliness that I presume to be withdrawal. I never realized how attached I'd become to the box I built myself into but when I peeked through the chiseled hole, I observed an abundance I never imagined possible. Tomorrow I will pick up my tools and start all over again. I am grateful for every student I taught today on my "day off" each one of you have filled the space that I thought was empty and reminded me that I am more full than most. Thanks for being on my team ;)

No comments: